Guidelines and Understandings
In recognition of the need for students and teachers to communicate in a more
effective way MSAD 54 has chosen to make email available to all Grade 7 through
12 students. Your Username and Password will be the same as the login and password
that allow you access to the computers at school. In order for this to run smoothly
there are a few things you must remember.
- You must follow all Acceptable Use Guidelines when using Email or the MSAD54
computers in general.
Maine School Administrative District No. 54 provides
computers, networks and Internet access to support the educational mission of
the schools and to enhance the curriculum and learning opportunities for students
and school staff. The Board believes that the resources available through
the Internet are of significant value in the learning process and preparing students
for future success. At the same time, the unregulated availability of information
and communication on the Internet requires that schools establish reasonable
controls for lawful, efficient and appropriate use of this technology.
Student use of school computers, networks and Internet
services is a privilege not a right. Students are required to comply with
this policy and the accompanying rules (IJNDB-R). Students who violate
the policy and/or rules may have their computer privileges revoked and may also
be subject to further disciplinary and/or legal action.
All of the District computers remain under the control,
custody and supervision of the school unit. The unit reserves the right
to monitor all computer and Internet activity by students. Students have
no expectation of privacy in their use of school computers.
- Please do not send email that includes attachments over 1000K (1 MB). Email
accounts are limited to 10 MB of storage. This will require maintenance and removal
of Deleted and Sent items. When you need to hand in a PowerPoint, iMovie, large
image, etc. please use a flash drive or other means of hand-in.
- When sending attachments, you are responsible to make sure the recipient
can open your attachment. Be sure to leave the extension (.doc, .cwk, .ppt, etc)
on the file name and to check with the recipient to be sure they were able to
open and read your attachment.
- There are times you may wish to simply embed your material in the email itself
instead of attaching a file. Many teachers will accept a current event for example
in email format.
- Email is to be used for Educational Purposes. You are encouraged to get a
personal email account for your own personal use.
- Remember to use your best judgment as you compose and use your email. Use
correct language at all times and please adhere to a respectable “Netequitte”.
- Please do not use school email to forward chain letters, jokes, as a Chat
Type program, etc.
- If you have any problems or questions about using your student email account
please contact the Integrationist in your building. (Dorothy Small, SAHS or Laura